Created by the Seasoned Recipe Team for Ogilvy’s.
100g pistachio nuts (finely chopped)
200g icing sugar
100g ground almonds / other ground nuts of your choice
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
8 egg whites
3 tablespoons of Ogilvy’s honey – we particularly like the Zambezi Organic Honey
60ml hot water
1 tablespoon of Ogilvy’s honey
A dash of hot water
A handful of pistachio nuts
1) Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook for 3-4 minutes until it starts to foam. Discard any ‘scum’ on the top and then leave to cool
2) Weigh the icing sugar, ground almonds, flour, baking powder & salt in a large bowl.
3) Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks (either by hand / using an electric whisk). Fold the whisked egg whites into the dry ingredients by hand.
4) Dissolve the honey in the hot water and fold into the egg mixture, followed by the melted butter, gradually, as you fold the ingredients in. Lastly, fold in the pistachio nuts.
5) Set aside for at least one hour, with cling film touching the surface of the mixture.
6) Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees and grease your chosen tin, we find a Madeleine tray or a small cupcake tin works well.
7) Spoon in the mixture until two thirds full as the baking powder will mean that the cakes rise nicely.
8) Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven & the size of your tin. The cakes need to be golden brown on top and just cooked through, a skewer shouldn’t come out completely clean.
9) Whilst they are baking take some additional honey & a dash of hot water & mix to create a nice glaze.
10) When the cakes are slightly cool, remove from the trays and brush with the honey glaze, scattering with some additional chopped pistachios.
Enjoy straight away!