A delicious recipe from our friends at NatureDoc, chicken drumsticks are such an easy comfort food, they are brilliant for BBQs, lunch boxes, picnics and birthday parties, as well as day-to-day suppers. Children love these Chinese five spice chicken drumsticks as they are slightly sweet and sticky with mild spices.
We have used Ogilvy’s Raw English Heather Honey in this recipe as the rich deep flavour works well with smoky BBQ flavours, and it complements a variety of meats, cheeses and puddings, perfect for al fresco eating over the summer.
Try to use organic ingredients wherever you can. Serve with sweet potato chips and green vegetables for supper, or on their own with a picnic. There will be some extra sweet sticky sauce at the bottom of the baking pan. Keep this to pour over the drumsticks to use as a yummy dip.
Serves 8 children or 4 adults
- 8 Chicken drumsticks, organic if possible
- 2 tablespoons Tamari soya sauce or Coconut aminos if you are soya-free or SCD/GAPS/Paleo or need to keep glutamate levels down.
- 1 tablespoon mustard, grainy is good such as Daylesford which is gluten-free and SCD/GAPS/Paleo
- 1 tablespoon Ogilvy’s Raw English Heather Honey
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- Mix the soya sauce, mustard, honey and Chinese five spice together in a bowl.
- Pour the sticky mixture over the chicken drumsticks and coat well.
- Leave to marinade in a baking pan for at least 20 minutes, a few hours is even better.
- Place in a 200 degree centigrade oven for 35 minutes until cooked through.