This delicious honey and fruit loaf can be enjoyed on its own or for extra indulgence spread with butter and an extra spoonful of Raw Scottish Heather honey.
- 240g/8oz dried fruit of your choice, we used a berry mix 180g & 60g soft dried apricots
- 200ml/7 fl oz hot water and 2 teabags
- 1 tablespoon of Raw Scottish Heather Honey
- 180g/6 ½ oz plain flour
- 1 ½ tsps baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large free-range egg beaten
- 30g/1oz melted butter
- 100g/3oz soft brown sugar
- Soft butter for greasing the loaf tin
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
Grease a loaf tin with softened butter.
Place the teabags in a bowl and add the hot water, leave until just warm.
Place the dried fruit into a large mixing bowl, pour over the warm tea and stir in the honey. Leave for at least 3 hours for the fruit to absorb the tea or overnight if you have time. Remove the teabags.
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice. Add the beaten egg, the fruit and tea mixture and the melted butter into the bowl a little at a time and beat until the mixture is well combined.
Pour the loaf mixture into the buttered loaf tin.
Bake in the oven for approx. 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Allow the fruit loaf to cool in the tin.