A delicious and healthy homemade granola bar recipe from our friends at Packed, a book filled with ideas for packed lunches, salads and snacks.
Easy to rustle up, these bars are a good option when you need to eat breakfast on the go or for an afternoon snack. Almond, cashew or macadamia nut butters all work well to add protein and flavour.
Packed with ……vibrant red and intensely flavoured, the tiny goji berry is rich in carotenoids and antioxidants that help to protect our eyes from damage. They are a little pricey, but they keep well and you only need to add a small amount to bars, porridge/oatmeal, granola or salads to reap their health benefits.
100g/3½oz/1 cup jumbo/rolled oats
50g/1¾oz/¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp nut butter (of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp raw, shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
50g/1¾oz/2/3 cup desiccated coconut/dried shredded coconut
2 tbsp dried goji berries
Makes 8 bars
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 23 × 15cm/9 × 6in shallow baking pan with baking parchment. Spread the oats thinly over the parchment and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Put the oil, honey, nut butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, and heat gently until well combined and the oil is melted.
- Stir in the baked oats until well coated. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Tip the mixture back into the baking pan and press down firmly using damp hands.
- Put in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm, and then cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar in parchment to take to work. Store in an airtight container for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for a couple of hours.